Friday 10 October 2014

English Word Play

Examples of Word Play:

  • Antanaclasis
    "Your argument is sound, nothing but sound."
    (Benjamin Franklin)

  • Double Entendre
    "I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."
    (Mae West)

  • Malaphor
    "Senator McCain suggests that somehow, you know, I'm green behind the ears."
    (Senator Barack Obama, Oct. 2008)

  • Malapropism
    "Why not? Play captains against each other, create a little dysentery in the ranks."
    (Christopher Moltisanti in The Sopranos)

  • Paronomasia and Puns
    "Hanging is too good for a man who makes puns; he should be drawn and quoted."
    (Fred Allen)

    "Champagne for my real friends and real pain for my sham friends."
    (credited to Tom Waits)

    "Once you are dead you are dead. That last day idea. Knocking them all up out of their graves. Come forth, Lazarus! And he came fifth and lost the job."
    (James Joyce, Ulysses, 1922)

    "I have a sin of fear, that when I have spun
    My last thread, I shall perish on the shore;
    But swear by Thyself, that at my death Thy Son
    Shall shine as he shines now, and heretofore;
    And having done that, Thou hast done;
    I fear no more."
    (John Donne, "A Hymn to God the Father")

  • Sniglet
    pupkus, the moist residue left on a window after a dog presses its nose to it.

  • Syllepsis
    "When I address Fred I never have to raise either my voice or my hopes."
    (E.B. White, "Dog Training")

  • Tongue Twisters
    "Chester chooses chestnuts, cheddar cheese with chewy chives. He chews them and he chooses them. He chooses them and he chews them. . . . those chestnuts, cheddar cheese and chives in cheery, charming chunks."
    (Singing in the Rain, 1952)
(from grammar.about.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment